I’m always trying to come up with clean breakfast ideas, not just for me, but my picky eater. Of course there’s always smoothies, which the picky eater *just* (and I do mean just a couple weeks ago) became interested in because she likes throwing all kinds of ingredients in the blender and mixing them up; however, since my kids are still little, I feel a warm breakfast starts their day off just right and boosts their brain power. I thought I’d share what I’ve come up with so far.
Clean Eating Breakfast Ideas
- The number one choice is, of course, oatmeal. Now, I personally don’t like oatmeal all that much for breakfast unless it’s in a smoothie, although my kids love it (thank goodness!). Over the years I’ve learned how to “spice” it up a bit to make it taste better (to me, anyway). Adding cinnamon or just a bit of honey, even maple syrup makes it more palatable, and always, always, always add fruit such as berries, blueberries or strawberries and/or banana. I will sometimes add raspberries or blackberries, just depending on what I have on-hand.
- Once again eggs are good for us – even the yolk! Yeah, I know, so much conflicting information, it’s hard to tell what’s right and what’s wrong. All I know is I love eggs and can eat them any time of the day. Scrambled, poached, boiled, omelet.
- Whole wheat pancakes or waffles – need I say more? Yum! Plus, my picky eater loves them, even if they are made with wheat flour. Topped with fresh fruit and a little cinnamon or a fruit puree makes for a great clean eating breakfast.
- French toast made with whole-grain bread, milk, farm fresh eggs, a little vanilla, and a pinch of cinnamon goes over well with both the kids and myself when I’m up for solid food in the morning.
- Breakfast burrito made with scrambled eggs (or egg whites), fresh veggies, and an ounce of real cheese (cheese is optional, of course).
Although not warm, other healthy breakfast ideas include: yogurt with fruit and granola, whole grain toast, and vegetable or fruit smoothies.
For some clean and healthy breakfast ideas, check out our breakfast recipes.
Do you have a clean and healthy breakfast idea or favorite? Leave a comment and share it with us!