Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
JenniferM | On 08, Oct 2009
Since I was asked for my whole wheat pizza dough recipe in the comments section of my How to Make a Healthy Pizza post, I thought I would just post the recipe I use. I found this whole wheat pizza crust recipe online a couple of years ago and it’s what I’ve been using ever since. It’s quick and it’s easy, so right up my alley!
- 1 package active dry yeast (.25 ounce)
- 1 c. warm water
- 2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c. wheat germ
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place warm water in small bowl. Add yeast. Allow the yeast to dissolve and set aside until mixture becomes creamy (appx. 10 minutes).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Scoop a well in the middle of the mixture and add the honey and yeast mixture. Stir until ingredients are well combined. Cover mixture with a dishtowel or plastic wrap and sit in a warm place and allow to raise for approximately 5 minutes. *This is where I drizzle with a garlic-grapeseed oil mix I buy from Wildtree Culinary Club.*
- Roll dough on a floured pizza pan. Using a fork, poke a few holes in the dough.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until desired crispness.
*You can substitute the garlic-grapeseed oil with an oil of your choosing or use none at all. It’s just a little something extra I add because this particular garlic oil gives my pizza a little extra hint of garlic that I love.