Clean and Healthy Hot Chocolate
JenniferM | On 19, Nov 2008
There is nothing better on a cold winter day (like today) than a cup of hot chocolate. I had actually given up on it, even though it’s one of my favorite beverages, because I didn’t think there were any clean variations out there, and if there were, it wouldn’t taste that great. Was I ever wrong!
I happened to be thumbing through my new copy of The Eat-Clean Diet for Family and Kids and found a recipe for clean hot chocolate! Tosca’s recipe calls for agave nectar, but I chose to use organic sugar cane crystals. This has to be the best-tasting and clean hot chocolate ever! And much healthier and better for us than what’s in those packets that we buy at the store.
So here is my recipe. If you want, you can substitute the organic sugar cane crystals with another clean sweetener of choice. Enjoy!
- 1 cup milk (you can use whatever type of milk you prefer)
- 1 tbsp. raw cocoa powder
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tbsp. organic sugar cane crystals
- In a medium saucepan, pour 1 cup of milk and add 1 tbsp. cocoa powder. Heat over medium flame, stirring often to avoid scalding.
- In a large bowl, combine the 4 egg whites and organic sugar cane crystals by whisking.
- Remove the pan of milk and cocoa powder from the stove. Slowly pour the milk mixture into the bowl with the egg/sugar cane crystal mixture, whisking the entire time while pouring. Whisk the mixture until slightly foamy.
- Pour into favorite mug or cup.
If you have some dark chocolate, add dark chocolate shavings to the top for an added treat!